Monday, October 10, 2011

Escape

EscapeEscape by Carolyn Jessop My rating: 4 of 5 stars Escape is the compelling story of Carolyn Jessop, a member of the FLDS cult. At the tender age of eighteen, Carolyn is forced into an arranged marriage with a vile man in his 50's. She is his fourth wife. Several years and eight children later, Carolyn escapes. She is the only woman to have ever escaped from this cult WITH all of her children. Having lived just an hour or so away from this community for many years, I have been fascinated with these people and wondered what their lives were like. We shop in the same stores and I've even had a group of them in my home, as they installed my wood flooring. It was a man and several young boys (Carolyn mentions these "construction crews" made up of young boys- her own son was part of one.) The man was very congenial, but the boys would hardly even respond when I spoke to them. I now know it was because they had been taught that I, and all people outside their community are evil and they should not interface with us. Those little boys worked hard. They worked right through lunchtime. I could see that that man was going to make them work all day without food, so I made a big plate of sandwiches and insisted they eat. Anyway, I've always had a "live and let live" attitude toward these people, but no more. I now see that this is evil at it's worst: in the name of religion. There is nothing Christian at all about this society. They treat each other terribly. The abuse, tyranny and domination are anything but Christian, and yet it's all done in the name of Christ and religion. Carolyn even talks about joking with other women about the warning they'd give to each other "don't drink the punch"- referring to the Jim Jones cult that were all killed by drinking the cyanide- laced punch. That shows me that they know they are a cult and that they are in danger. I think Mark Shurtleff, Utah's attorney general is one of the great heroes alive today. Though knowing it would be personal "political suicide" to do so, he saw the evil and pursued Warren Jeffs and other leaders of this cult. Though the arrests were made in Texas, they were chased there by pursuit and pressure from Utah attorney general's office. When he could have easily turned his back, he chose to follow his heart and try to help these innocent people. My only regret is that they didn't keep those children when they had the chance in Texas. That was a huge mistake. Do I recommend the book? Guardedly. It is a book that is difficult to put down, and yet difficult to read. Even when you do put it down, it stays with you and colors your world. It is powerful. If you want to go on that journey, then, yes, I recommend it. Am I glad I read it? Absolutely. It strengthened my testimony of my own faith- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In my faith, women are honored and even revered. We are vital to the working of the church and our opinions are valued. In a recent press conference following a temple dedication in our church, a reporter commented that she had observed how well the men treated their wives. Then she asked, "Is that real or fiction?"(see Walter F. Gonzalez, ENSIGN magazine, May, 2011 issue, page 13 on LDS.org) It's real. Contrast that with their religion, where women are property and of no more worth than service cattle to populate and further the evil work. My hope for Carolyn is that she and her family can find truth and peace and maybe even help others of her former faith win their freedom. View all my reviews

3 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Excellent review as always. I think I'd like to read that book because as you know, I've always been fascinated with the "pligs".

Pam said...

What an insightful and thought-provoking review, Kay. Every time we drive past Colorado City and Hildale on our way to visit our kids in Arizona, I wonder anew how this cock-eyed "religion" can perpetuate. You did an excellent job of pointing out the black and white differences in our LDS beliefs and treatment of women and the FLDS's. It bothers me that we share LDS in our names. With the current political campaign for US President heating up, all members of our faith need to make it clear to all that we are NOT a cult and our foundation is Jesus Christ.

sara cardon said...

Yikes! This sounds like a totally emotional read... and my interest is peaked! Your review is written really well-- thought provoking and very clear especially since you have such up close and personal experiences with them... I feel so sorry for those young girls who are totally exploited. Sad.