Monday, October 10, 2011

April, 2011 Conference Report

Can you believe it? I finished my study of the April, 2011 General Conference today. My goal is to have it done before the next conference issue arrives. So, I finished with time to spare. So, here we go . .. my humble attempt to capture this conference and preserve my thoughts and feelings about it.
Theme I think most people who listened to all of this conference would, with a chuckle, suggest that the theme of this conference was that Latter-day-Saint young adult men should GET MARRIED! In fact, it was mentioned no less that five times. All of those who admonished the young men were prophets, seers, and revalators: Elder Oaks, President Monson- who quoted Harold B. Lee and Gordon B. Hinckley on the subject, and Elder Scott. I loved one young man's response at the end of conference on Facebook, "Wait. . . I think I missed it. What should be my priority be right now? Sometimes I just wish they would be more clear." And another, "They are coming down hard on my kind."
Another theme I noticed was following the spirit/ Listening to the Holy Ghost. In reference to the Holy Ghost's promptings, President Eyring prophesied," Some of you will need that inspiration in the months ahead."
We also heard a lot about the need for faith and obedience, and, as always and especially in the spring session, a great emphasis on the atonement.
Have you noticed the great increase in the use of the phrase "tender mercies" since Elder Bednar's talk about that several years ago. Elder Bednar loves to find those special phrases in the scriptures, ponder them, then present them to us. In his talk, he used at least eight of these phrases from scripture, ie: "apply unto it ," "a still, small voice," and 'Look beyond the mark."
In the news lately, we are hearing of Baptist preacher, Jeffress calling Mitt Romney's religion a cult. He SO needs to read Elder DeHoyas's talk. It will answer his every question and concern.
ATTENTION PARENTS! ATTENTION PARENTS! ATTENTION PARENTS! Have you ever wished you had received an owner's manual with your children? How To Raise Children, Parenting 101 is Elder Robbins talk on page 103. I admonish (who am I to use such a strong word??) to study and read and read and study this talk over and over and over again. It is truly what parents need.
My favorite talk: Need you ask? Almost always, my favorite is Elder Holland (I was sad that in last week's conference he spoke in Priesthood so I didn't get to hear him.) This talk made my heart sing. Remember, he was the last speaker before President Monson's concluding address. It was called "An Ensign to the Nations". It was about one of my favorite topics- you guessed it- GENERAL CONFERENCE! I loved how he gave us insight to how conference topics are decided (blood, sweat, tears, faith and prayer) "I testify that the proceedings of the past two days are yet one more evidence that, as our hymns says, "Lo, Zion's standard is unfurled." and surely the dual meaning of the word standard is intentional, it is not happenstance that one English publication of our general conference messages is in a magazine simply titled the Ensign." Conference sets the standard. In it, we learn what we need to do and become. "And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation." (D&C 68:4) There you have it, folks! We get new, modern-day, right up to the minute scripture every six months. It just doesn't get much better than that! Unfurl your flags, spread the word! General Conference is where it's at!
In case you are interested, here is the tally of references in this conference:
Book of Mormon: 122
D&C: 119
Quotes from Latter-day apostles and prophets: 89
New Testament: 85
Old Testament: 32
World Literature: 32
Pearl of Great Price: 22
Hymns: 12
An interesting note: The source used by the most speakers was . . . . drumroll, please. . . . Quotes from Latter-day apostles and prophets. Thirty different speakers quoted apostles. The D&C was next- 27 speakers, and The Book of Mormon next- 26 speakers.
I want to close with the admonition from our prophet, Thomas S. Monson, "As we receive the issue of the Ensign magazine which will contain these messages in written form, may we read and study them." Yes, we may.

5 comments:

Joan Morris said...

You are awesome! Thanks for your insights. I too love General Conference and love studying the talks in the Ensign. I have truly enjoyed my calling as Teaching of our Times teacher in RS because it gives me the opportunity to really read and study at least one talk each month.

Shonna said...

Way to go! You finished up and posted it before you headed to help w/ the baby. Thanks for posting it.

Ming said...

Fascinating and insightful review. I definitely want to read this book. Thanks for sharing.

Pam said...

You are amazing, Kay! You make us further realize all that goes into an uplifting, inspired conference.

Pal & Hatty said...

Thank you for your summary! I too was trying get April Conference reread before October Conference - I didn't quite make it will all the talks so I really appreciate your insights! Thanks!