Monday, April 18, 2011

Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers

Little Britches: Father and I Were RanchersLittle Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody My rating: 4 of 5 stars Looking for a great book to read aloud to your family (especially if you have boys) that will instill moral and family values? This is it. It is the historical autobiography of Ralph (nicknamed Little Britches) whose family moves from New England to a ranch in Colorado because their father's health is so poor. It is the story of how they build a ranch from nothing and eek out a living. But mostly it is the story of a young boy who more than anything wants to please his father, who, in turn, more than anything, wants to raise his son to be a fine, upstanding man. This is the first in the series and is the only one I have read . . . so far. I am anxious to continue the series. Here are some of the quotes I marked from book. All are Father teaching son, helping him to become a man: "Always remember, Son, the best boss is the one who bosses the least. Whether it's cattle, or horses, or men; the least government is the best government." "A man always makes his troubles less by going to meet them instead of waiting for them to catch up with him, or trying to run away from them." And my favorite: "Any man who says the world owes him a living is dishonest. The same God that made you and me made this earth. And He planned it so that it would yield every single thing that the people on it need. But He was careful to plan it so that it would only yield up its wealth in exchange for the labor of man. Any man who tries to share in that wealth without contributing the work of his brain or his hands is dishonest." On the cover of the book, it says "should be read aloud in every family circle in America." I agree. It should. View all my reviews

2 comments:

Shonna said...

Sounds like a good one.

Kristen Mackrory said...

That last quote gave me chills! It is so true. Please help me remember to read this one to my kids when they are a bit older and I am searching for a good book. I want to go and read the second book now. I think I will!

You always do such a great job of summarizing a book and sharing the important parts.