Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Return Thanks

This time of year, I always think of my Grandma Peterson. Grandma had a funny little way of asking someone to say a mealtime or family prayer. She was a widow for many years, so when we were in her home, she was the head of her home. She would say, "Lyman, will you return thanks?" And my dad would give the prayer. Where did she get that phrase? I didn't find out until long after she was gone. I was reading in The Book of Mormon in Alma, Chapter 7 and found this scripture:
23. And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive."
I still remember that "zing" in my heart when I recognized that phrase, "Returning thanks." She got it from the scriptures!
When we borrow something, it's important that we return it. We are constantly borrowing blessing from God, but He doesn't want them back. But he does want us to return something: Thanks. Just Thanks. I can do that.
Grandma was a good example of returning thanks. She had bad knees and I know she had surgery on them, but I was too little to know what kind of surgery (anybody know?") But I know her knees hurt. One time when she was visiting us, I walked by the room where she always stayed (the purple room) and found the door ajar. I looked in to see Grandma on those painful knees in prayer. I watched as she finished her prayer and painfully struggled to her feet. She never knew I was peeping. It left an indelible impression on me. Without speaking a word, she bore a powerful testimony of humility, submissiveness, and returning thanks. And for that great lesson and example, I now return thanks to her: "Thanks, Grandma!"

6 comments:

Michelle said...

What an amazing, beautiful woman and a great example. Good reminder, especially at this time of year!

Pam said...

Wow, I haven't thought of that phrasing of Grandma's for years, but you are absolutely right on. I can just hear her voice saying that. I have in the trunk downstairs several of her letters to Mom and to me and when I read them it is just like I am hearing her say the words. Thanks for bringing that past memory of her today.

Joan Morris said...

I had forgotten that she said that phrase. Thanks for reminding me. I can hear her saying it now that I think of it. I too remember seeing her in prayer. We do come from good "Dorothy" Genes.

Shonna said...

I love that story and think of it every time I read that scripture. I love those pictures of her too.

Kristen Mackrory said...

What beautiful posts. I have really enjoyed catching up on your blog. Thank you for the spiritual uplift you have given me today.

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing that sweet story, it brought tears to my eyes. I will always remember this now when I read that scripture.