Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Week of Good Things

On February's fast Sunday last week, a dear sister in our ward talked about a show on t.v. where they give someone a camera and tell them to take a picture of a good thing. This idea intrigued me and I decided to take a picture each day of the coming week of a good thing. Little did I know as I started that week that it would be a week filled with "bad things" as I had many worries and concerns for the health of several of my family members. The paradox of that concern with looking for good things ended up making the lesson of the week even more powerful. So, I now share with you my week of good things:
Sunday: Ken making Valentine Sugar cookies Monday: Laundry day. We didn't have a dryer for many years. A dryer is a very good thing. Tuesday: Lake Vincent. We live in the desert and have been in a bit of a drought, so Tueday's all-day rain storm was a very good thing. We live lakeside. Across the street from our house is the Vincent's house. Every time it rains a "lake" forms in front of their house. The first picture was taken in the morning before it got very big, the 2nd was later that night. Lake Vincent at night Wednesday: We awoke to fog. It was gorgeous (again, rare in the desert) Thursday: The Mackrorys came! Such a good thing!
Grandpa greets the kids
Friday:Nathan reads a story to his mama.Brielle performs, "Pants on the ground, pants on the ground, lookin like a fool with your pants on the ground." Saturday: Nathan with the sugar cookie he just decorated: Brielle tries a scary thing at the park, and loves it! That's a good thing. Sunday: Happy Valentine's Day! I gave the camera to Brielle and asked her to take pictures of good things. I was impressed with her choices and her photography: Brielle's Good Things:
I laughed at this one: She took a picture of her parent's engagement picture. She's in the picture. She's the gleam in her daddy's eye. She turned the camera and took a picture of a very good thing! Look for good things in your life. They're everywhere!

6 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

That IS a powerful lesson...I need to look for good things. What a great idea to do it daily for a week. It reminds me of Dad's talk on Sunday, how he "let's his heart be full of thanks unto God" when he "rises in the morning (Alma 37:37)" as he gives a prayer of gratitude each morning. Between the two of you, I am bound to have a wonderful week this week!

By the way, I love your photography...especially the one of Bre at the park. So, so cute

Carina said...

What a great post! It's always good to be reminded to look for the good in our day. It's so easy to get caught up in everyday life. After a long winter I've definitely felt a little down, so thank you for the reminder :).

Joan Morris said...

I love your "good things" post. It reminded me of the scripture I sent Whitney this week. D & C 98:1
Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks;

Cute pictures, especially the ones by Brielle.

Michelle said...

What a cute idea! I love it! "gleam in her daddy's eye . .. " he he! So funny. Aaah, Lake Vincent. How I wish all we had was a LAKE, rather than snow and ice everywhere! Lake Vincent IS a good thing. And that fog is beautiful!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

What a great way of looking at things!!! I could use that this week! Brielle is totally going to be a photographer when she is older!

sara cardon said...

What an uplifting read!! It's so interesting how a little prespective can change a bad week to one full of "good things." Valentine's Day looks like it was fun at your house!!