Thursday, June 25, 2020

Call the Midwife

Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950sCall the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s by Jennifer Worth

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I watched the series, available on Netflix, then listened to the book. I usually prefer to do that in the opposite order, but, in this case, I loved watching first. The series is SO well done and is true to the book. Watching first helped me to picture the East end London scenes in the 1950s, the gruesome living conditions, the characters, etc. as I read. Jennifer wrote this book about her memories some 50 years later. She is a wonderful writer, recreating it all so vividly. I loved this book.
I was warned, so pass the warning on to you: don’t read the prostitute chapter, as it is graphic. Though no one warned me, I also chose not to listen to the chapter about the poor house as I didn’t want those images in my head, either.



View all my reviews

No comments: