Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Our Church Callings

A big part of our lives is our callings in our church.  We both serve in the temple.  I serve as 1st counselor in the young women organization and Ken serves as 1st counselor in the elder's quorum presidency.  All of the above are a big part of our lives, but I realized I don't ever post about them or take many pictures.  When I am with the youth, I am busy and rarely remember to take out my camera and take pictures.  I am determined to try to do better.  I love the girls and grow to love them more and more all the time.  I will also try to get a picture of the elders quorum presidency.  They are, as I write, meeting in our living room.  I would run in a take a picture right now, but I am not presentable!  For history's sake, I'll post a potpourri of pictures that I have, then occasionally post more:
One day, after serving in the temple, I was waiting for Ken.  The flowers in front of the temple were just glorious, so I took a few pictures.  One of my favorite colors!


We feel so grateful to serve in this sacred place each week.

We had youth conference in Morley's(friends) cabin in Brian Head.  My responsibility was Friday night's dinner.  I forgot to take pictures of the dinner: sloppy joes, chips, veggies and dip, and creamy jello salad.


Our friends, the Burdicks had just come home from their mission in Florida.  They did a great presentation for the youth on preparing for a mission.


The service project the next day was to deep clean the Morley's cabin.

The next Tuesday, I was in charge of the all-youth activity.  We had pizza, then went to the temple to do baptisms for the dead.

For a recent class activity, we went to the St. George Family History center.  Only three came, but we had a great time.





The family history center is a great place to spend an evening.  They have so many fun things for the youth to do and explore.

One of my Mia Maid claimed she had the best chocolate cookie recipe in the world.  So for a recent Mia Maid activity we tried them.  I think she may be right.  In case you're interested, here is the recipe.
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Katelin Nordfelt

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven.0 to 350.  Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.  Dissolve the baking soda in hot water.  Add to the batter along with the salt.  Stir in the flour, chocolate chips, and nuts.  Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.  Bake for about 10 minutes, or until edges are nicely browned.

Our fundraiser for camp this year was to do a ward cookbook.  We did make a lot of money.  But it really was a leader project.  I did a lot of it.  
July's all-youth activity was group games.  This is human battleship.



And bunny/rabbit



The very next week, we, the Mia Maids were in charge of the all-girl activity.  It looked like we were copy catting as we also planned to do group games.  But we had planned it a couple of months before.  We did all different games and really had a fun time.



And finally, now a couple of weeks later, I did get that picture of the elder's quorum presidency.  They meet at our house every Wednesday evening:
Ken, 1st counselor, Rob Marshall, 2nd counselor, Samuel Roth, secretary, and Terry Walker, president.  

2 comments:

Pam said...

The kids are so lucky to have you and Ken! You always have had great ideas, Kay. You are both loyal servants in God's army!

Pal & Hatty said...

You are both busy serving in so many ways! I love all of the creative activities you come up with ! I am going to try that cookie recipe - I love a good chocolate chip cookie! Those purple flowers are beautiful!