Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Kitchen Table Wisdom

Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories That HealKitchen Table Wisdom: Stories That Heal by Rachel Naomi Remen

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I didn’t realize, until I came to Goodreads to review this book, that it was published so long ago. It has been around since 1997. It has had time to become well-read and highly acclaimed.
Having a doctor for a father has colored my world on alternative medicine. But as I read her philosophies, mostly expressed through her experiences counseling cancer patients, I realized that hers and my dad’s philosophies were similar. He had many patients that came from many miles around, I think mostly because he listened to them. He dealt with the psychological effects of illness.
This author realized a huge hole in the medical world- dealing with the emotional and psychological part of medicine. She developed a practice to help patients. Being ill herself, she understood them and their needs. The book is a collection of experiences had in her practice and in her life.
Two takeaways for me: 1)Listen, listen, listen to people. Sometimes that is all they need. 2) Though she was never able to give Him His proper title, God is essential in healing. She described Him, miracles, spiritual experiences, people recognizing His power, etc in her book, but wasn’t sure what to call all of that. I longed to teach her and give her the full picture.
This author is a good person, doing good things. This book is full of love and insights. I think it would especially be helpful to one going through a chronic or fatal disease.




View all my reviews

1 comment:

Pal & Hatty said...

Thanks for the insights into this book. Dad was a good listener and that was a part of what made him a great doctor!