Friday, March 2, 2018

Helen Marr turns 98

Let me tell you about this amazing woman.  This is Helen Marr.  She just turned 98 years old!  We went to visit her a few days after her birthday.  She was born a few days before my mother in 1920.  My parents were very good friends with she and her husband when they all lived in Caldwell.  Then the Clarks moved away to Coer d' Alene,  I think.  But they remained friends.  You can only imagine my parents' delight when they moved to St. George and found that Helen Marr and her husband had also retired to St. George.  They picked up where they had left off many years before, getting together often.   Each year, Mom and Helen Marr would  go to lunch and celebrate their birthdays together.  Sometimes they invited me.  I loved to listen to them chat and giggle together.
Helen Marr still lives alone in a condominium.  She still drives, walks a lot, and takes care of herself.  She is just amazing.
She even demonstrated that she can still touch her toes.  We had to get a picture of that!

How I love this dear woman!  After her first husband died, she remarried and she and Cal moved into our ward in St. George.  They lived there when I was Relief Society president.  Whenever anyone needed anything, she was always the first one to sign up. I could always count on Helen Marr.  I grew to love her so much.
  Helen Marr moved from our ward, so I haven't seen her often in recent years.  We have visited her from time to time, but it was fun to reconnect with her.  We had such a delightful visit.
When I grow up, I want to be like Helen Marr!  Happy birthday, dear friend!

3 comments:

Joan Morris said...

How sweet! How nice to hear that Helen Marr is still doing well. She is a treasure and how nice that you and Ken visited her!

Pam said...

Oh, I love Helen Marr, too! I had lost track of her, so this post makes me really happy!

Pal & Hatty said...

I remember Helen Marr well - she was always so cute with mom! She is truly amazing! She can touch her toes - wow!