Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Orange: A Gift from the Heart

Japanese people are gift givers.  They are generous to a fault.  We have been given a lot of gifts in the two months since we've been here, but none that touched me more than this orange.
This dear sister has been my friend since the first day I was here.  She speaks pretty good English and interprets for me in Relief Society.  She doesn't drive, so always walks to church.  We have taken her home many times, and it's quite a ways to the church- probably a good 25 minute walk.  One day, she came to sacrament meeting.  After the meeting, I saw her look at me and kind of draw in her breath quickly.  She then disappeared.  She came in about an hour later just as Relief Society was starting.  She then pulled out of her bag this beautiful orange.  She presented it to me and explained that it came from the Mount Fuji region of Japan.  She said it was the last one left that still has the leaves on it.  I guess having the leaves on makes them extra special here.  I strongly suspect that she saved it for me and then forgot to bring it, so walked home and got it and walked back with it.  It was truly a gift of love from the heart.

4 comments:

Pam said...

What a beautiful example of true gift-giving. We can all learn so much from the ways of others. What a treasure of memories you are storing up!

Kristen Mackrory said...

What a sweet, sweet story. I want to hug that wonderful sister.

Pal & Hatty said...

What a special friend she is! I knew that you would touch the lives and hearts of many as you serve this mission and she is one of them!!

Joan Morris said...

That made me cry. What a sweet lady! I love to see the love and influence you are having on so many!!