Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Basket


Let me tell you about this special basket.  It sits, empty, in the foyer of our church, underneath the coat rack during the week.  But on Sunday mornings, it is gradually and quietly filled.  Branch members, as they come to church, quietly and anonymously, put food they have brought from home in the basket.  By the end of church, it is filled with all kinds of foods.  Most often there is rice, vegetables, fruits, and bread.  But sometimes they purchase special cookies, candies and other treats and put them in the basket. The food is for the elders- the young missionaries serving in Tsuruoka.  It is the members’ way of supporting the missionary work, of week by week saying thank you for the efforts made. They are most generous in their donations.  I’m afraid that sometimes these generous donations are the equivalent of the widow’s mite.  They are not giving of their surplus, but of their want.  I hope the elders thank their Heavenly Father for these good, kind, and generous people.  I know we do. 

6 comments:

Joan Morris said...

That is so sweet! It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Pam said...

It seems one of the beautiful things about serving a mission in another culture is learning new ways of doing things. You have been enlightening us with so many of these ways the Japanese culture have, and I love reading about them. I look forward to each of your posts, Kay!

Michelle said...

This brings tears to my eyes. So sweet!

sara cardon said...

What a nice way of supporting the missionaries. I love that idea.

The Allens said...

This is too much fun, getting a peek into a different culture through your astute eyes and skillfully crafted words. Thank you for lifting me each time I check in

Kristen Mackrory said...

That brings tears to my eyes. I love these people and I haven't even met them. What sweet, sweet wonderful people. It reminds me of similar experiences I had on my mission. They truly are so giving.