Thursday, April 30, 2015

Wonder

WonderWonder by R.J. Palacio

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I love Auggie. I love Auggie’s family. I love this book. Frankly, I was afraid to read it. I was afraid it would have too much cruelty in it. It does have some of that, but the goodness outweighs the bad. I really think every child and adult should read this book. I hope this isn’t a spoiler, but I have to share with you my very favorite part of the book. It is a scene where Auggie’s school principal, Mr. Tushman is giving a speech. He quotes Henry Ward Beecher: “Greatness,' wrote Beecher, 'lies not in being strong, but in the right using of strength. . . . He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts . . .' " And again, out of the blue, he got all choked up. He put his two index fingers over his mouth for a second before continuing. " 'He is the greatest,' " he finally continued, " 'whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own.' I won’t continue, because that would be a spoiler, but I just love that quote. I think that could be a mantra. Ah, this book. This book! For me to rate a book five stars, it needs to:
Be well -written - Check
Call to me to keep reading it – Check
Make me want to be a better person- check, double-check

I not only give it five stars, but I give it a standing ovation, because as Auggie says, “Everyone should have a standing ovation at least once in their life.”




View all my reviews

No comments: