Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Let Us All Press On

Last Sunday, our ward choir sang the Richard Elliot arrangement of "Let Us All Press On."  I am the choir director in our ward.  It was a monumental task to learn this beautiful piece.  It challenged me, it challenged our fabulous organist (Sister Burdick,) and it challenged the choir.  We worked and worked on it for weeks.  I did everything I know to do to get the "beat" inside each of the singers.  I marched and yelled and clapped and screamed and made a total fool of myself . . . and I prayed.  Oh, how I prayed.  And it went so well.  I was so happy and felt the spirit so strong.  Just before we sang it for the last time at the final rehearsal just before sacrament meeting on Sunday, I had a sister from the ward, Sister Staheli, who was present when Cody Judy jumped the railing and threatened President Howard W. Hunter at a BYU fireside years ago, come and tell us the story.   She said a single voice in the Marriott Center started singing this song, then the entire congregation joined in, singing with great fervor. That music help diffuse the situation.  There is great power in music.
This group sings it pretty well, but you should have heard us!!!  Ha!

So many brothers and sisters that were in the congregation talked to me after.  They wanted to hug or take my hand as they expressed how the spirit spoke through that song.  One sister, with tears in her eyes, said she was given inspiration as to what she should do in her life as we sang.  Another called me that evening.  She was at death's door just a week ago, but recovered enough to be at church. In a shaky voice, she told me that she was so grateful to be there, that she wouldn't have wanted to miss that!
Nearly every time our choir sings, I feel that we have divine help.  I feel like after we've worked hard and done our best to learn and prepare that we are lifted beyond our abilities.   I love each of those who participate in our choir and feel so grateful for them. I am humbled by their dedicated service.  I am so grateful for my calling and for music in my life!

4 comments:

Pam said...

Oh, Kay, I would have loved to be in your Sacrament meeting and heard your choir! I love how that arrangement begins soft, then builds, marches mightily "in the glorious cause of truth," then softens humbly again at the end. You are such a wonderful choir director and I'll bet your choir members felt so very inspired as they worked with you.There is no better, humbling feeling than to be supported and understood by others when we are giving our passion and our heart to the Lord in his service.

Joan Morris said...

Wow! I love this. I'm sure you inspired many. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I'll bet it was wonderful! I love that arrangement, too. How many people in your ward choir?

Pal & Hatty said...

What a wonderful experience - you have inspired so many. I wish I could have been there to hear it!