Sunday, December 8, 2013

Snowed In


 Church was cancelled today.  We had a snow day.  It snowed here literally all day yesterday.  The official report was 6", though many people measured 7".  St. George city only owns one snow plow, so the roads are not cleared, and, of course the church parking lot is covered.  It is only 17 degrees right now, so under the snow is ice.  Very few people own snow shovels and approximately 0 people in this town own snow blowers.  So when it snows we're stuck.  I like being stuck.  It's delightful!  So instead of being in church today, we spent the morning chasing a male Anna's hummingbird around our house.  Yes, you heard me right. Check the next post for that amazing story!


Saturday- our view out the back.

Do you remember this old hymn that talks about the rosy light of morning when you wake up on the Sabbath day.  I always wondered what the rosy light of morning was.  Now I know . . .





The rosy light of morning. That's the western horizon really early in the morning.


The same view as the picture a couple above taken today.  It was just so pretty and sparkly and pristine.  



Our driveway was so snowy, we couldn't get the car up the hill last evening.  We went out to do a little bit of shopping and couldn't wait to get home.  Driving was scary.  
Our car spent the night outside.  A nice neighbor helped Ken dig it out this afternoon so we could get the car in the garage.





Icicles on our roof.
I know to many of you this is not big news.  But to us who rarely see snow like this, this is exciting.  I just wanted to take pictures all day long.  It was nice to spend a nice, cozy day at home.  We made homemade stew and hot rolls and enjoyed our own private "church meeting."   When I was a young mother, I dreamed of having a day like this.  I loved having my children and husband home.  I would dream of having a snow day or other reason that we'd all have to stay inside together all day.  It was a little late, but it finally came!  Tomorrow life is back to normal, but for these few hours we throughly enjoyed being "snowed in."





5 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Amazing! I love all of your pictures! I'm glad that you got your snow day even if it came a bit late!

Pal & Hatty said...

I really like your new header picture!

Ada said...

I love all your pictures and your snowed in story! Quite an unusual day for us desert rats!

Joan Morris said...

That is crazy weather for St. George. Glad you were snowbound for a day.

Kristen Mackrory said...

SO pretty! I love seeing snow in St. George and I LOVE your rosy morning picture. It is gorgeous. We have a snow day today and are loving it. Brielle did our lesson and did a beautiful job. Then Nathan shared a thought and then we watched Christmas videos on the mormon channel. I'm definitely a fan! (But only because it is special and different. I wouldn't want it this way every week :) )