Sunday, May 13, 2012

October, 2011 Conference Report

Every six months, I humbly attempt to review the conference report that I've been studying for the past six months.  I read all the talks, then I go back and "study" them, looking up all the scriptures. Because I'm weird,  I count all of the references from the different sources, too.  Anyway, I finished the October, 2011 conference this week.
   I had two favorite talks in this conference.  I loved Elder Scott's talk on "The Power of Scripture"  In that talk, he challenged us to memorize scriptures. "Great power can come from memorizing scriptures.  To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship.  It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change."  I took that challenge, and actually, because this talk was going to be the source for our high council speaker in March, I challenged the ward choir (I'm the ward choir director) to accept this challenge.  Each week, before we rehearsed the song "Search, Ponder, and Pray," someone from the choir would recite the scripture they had memorized.  It was a sweet experience as we felt the power of the words of that song after hearing the scripture.  
  Another favorite talk was Elder Yamashita's.  The story he begins his talk with about the missionary in Japan who is wearing his father's coat because his father wore it when he was on HIS mission to Japan hit close to home.  Kristen served in the same Japanese mission that her father served in twenty-five years earlier.  His talk brought back sweet memories of going to Japan and meeting people Kristen loved when we picked her up at the end of her mission.
   Another stand out and memorable talk is President Uchtdorf's to the women of the church in General Relief Society meeting.  Will any of us ever look at a forget me not flower again without thinking of him and his talk?
    Here are the results of the tally of quoted scriptures:
Book of Mormon-175
New Testament- 161
Modern Day Apostles- 101
Doctrine and Covenants- 99
Old Testament-88
Pear of Great Price- 21
Literature- 35
Hymns- 10


32 speakers referenced or quoted from the Book of Mormon
28 speakers quoted apostles
Comparing these statistics from the last conferences shows a BIG increase in the referencing of the Book of Mormon.  There may be a message there!


Most often quoted scriptures:
Mosiah 2: 17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn awisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the bservice of your cfellowbeings ye are only in the service of your God.
This was quoted three times by Uchtdorf, Alonso, and Eyering
Moroni 7:  47 But acharity is the pure blove of Christ, and it endurethcforever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
This was quoted three times by Scott, Eyering and Allred
1 Tim. 4: 12 Let no man adespise thy youth; but be thou an bexample of the believers, in word, in cconversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, indpurity.
This was quoted by Perry, McMullin, and Eyering


These are scriptures to consider memorizing if you want to take Elder Scott's challenge.
I am grateful for the general conferences of our church and the modern day scripture it provides for me in my life.  

4 comments:

Pam said...

Thank you, Kay, for sharing your labor of love. Service, charity and be an example are the big messages. I found this little quote recently and I think it applies to these:
"Your beliefs don't make you a better person. Your behavior does."

Kristen Mackrory said...

How amazing is this?!? I love reading through this. Thank you. I think I should do some memorizing.

Rhonda Sarantis said...

You always inspire me, Kay! Thanks for your example. I've bookmarked your blog so I can read it often.

Sarah said...

Very amazing, Kristen! I'm happy you can go back and read through the messages. I heard it was a little crazy at your place during the broadcast!