Thursday, February 17, 2011

Nedje

About a month ago, maybe a little longer now, I met a fun lady at the pool. She was swimming laps, punching this cool yellow lap tracker after each lap. When she finished swimming, I asked her about her cool tool, thus striking up a friendship with Nedje. I learned she was from Maryland, visiting here for a couple of months to take time for herself- losing weight and exercising. I was excited to learn her undergraduate and Masters degrees were in vocal performance and that she taught voice and "The Influence of African American Culture on American Music" at her local college in Maryland. I told her about our Keynote group (the women's singing group I'm in and am in charge of). I told her we were singing two spirituals and two jazz pieces for our concert in May and asked if she would come and help us be "less Mormon and less white" when we sing them. She agreed. So, for the past couple of weeks, Nedje has joined our rehearsals and given us a master class. It has been so fun. In exchange, we gave Nedje a gift bag of goodies, including a "Mormon" hymnbook and a Book of Mormon. She promised she would read it. Nedje left to go back to Maryland this week. She promised to keep in touch.
Thanks, Nedje! It was fun!

8 comments:

Shonna said...

Love the pics! How nice of her to come help all you white ladies sing some real jazz. ;) How are those songs sounding now?

Jessica said...

How sweet of her to come and teach your singing group! I bet you all sound less white now!

Jana said...

That's so neat Aunt Kay! Where does she live in Maryland? ...cause I live there you know! :)

James and Tricia Thomas said...

That is such a neat story! I am sure she felt the spirit singing with you ladies and especially with how kind and wonderful you were!

Carina said...

What a neat story, i admire your courage to invite her to your singing group. You'll have to keep us posted if you hear from her.

Pal & Hatty said...

What a great story! Let us know if you hear back from her! Good job on making new friends!

Shanny said...

That's so cool! I'm only sad I couldn't be there. I miss the Keynotes.

Pam said...

What an unexpected opportunity to have her come to your Keynote practices. I'm sure she was impressed with your beautiful sound and to get to hear her ideas must have been priceless!