Sunday, February 8, 2009

Ahhh! Peace Again!!!

Now don’t get me wrong. I like people. I’ve met some really delightful ones while we exercise together at my gym. But you can have too much of a good thing. Such was the case, I found, in January at the gym. The place was swarming with resolutionists. It was hard to find a parking place (we all want the closest ones so we don’t have to walk too far to go into exercise!), hard to get a swimming lane, hard to get my favorite shower- I had to wait in line one day, and just plain crowded. I went one evening and found the place swarming with buff boys and muscle-bound men. I cycled next to a young man who put a whole new spin on spinning. I’m sure he was impressed with my grueling five minute workout that burned a depressing 5.6 calories (5.6 calories! That’s a flippin carrot stick!) Don’t you hate digital readouts that give that kind of info? I prefer the completely non-digital pool where no one, including me, cares how many calories I’ve burned, and I have to squint to even read the traditional round clock.) After being “cannon-balled” for the fourth time (Resolutionists think it’s funny to leave their kids to “swim” while they work out) and sitting in the hot tub with a family with three little kids who- I swear I’m not making this up- “picnicked” in the hot tub: boiled eggs, crackers, string cheese, grapes (rate that picnic, Joan!) , I’m glad February has arrived. I’m glad that those resolutionists have crawled back into their man caves where they’ve resumed consuming huge quantites of chips and m and m’s. I’m glad they’ve left the facilities to the “regulars” like me who just want a little peace and space. I hope it lasts . . . at least until next January.

6 comments:

Joan Morris said...

That sounds like a very interesting picnic! I'm not sure I'd give it a very high score though depending on how water logged the food was :( (besides, I don't like hard boiled eggs). Good for you for being a regular exerciser and not just a "resolutionist".

Carina said...

That was a really funny blog! Thanks for making me laugh. That picnic sounds terrible. Who eats boiled eggs and cheese in a hot tub?

Kristen Mackrory said...

LOL! I loved it! Thank goodness for February! So, did they share any of their boiled eggs with you?

Kristen Mackrory said...

And I love your side info! I really do need to make sure I read it! How uplifting! I loved Barkley's quote! It is a good reminder!

Shonna said...

You are hilarious!!! I love your posts. I especially liked the part about everyone competing for the parking spots closest to the door so you can all go work out for an hour. Why not start the work-out a few steps earlier?

Shonna said...

I just read Kristen's 2nd comment about the side bar thing. I love reading other people's but I have 2reasons for not doing it myself. First, I hardly have time to post a regular post in the regular column, and second, there's no place for people to leave comments and isn't that really why I post anyway--for more comments? (The 2nd reason is also partly why I wanted to make another comment on your post.) ;) BTW, I actually got around to posting something in my main bar (what do you call the middle bar?).