Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Bird Man

Last weekend was our local Bird Festival. Ken and his brother, Don participate each year, leading a group of avid “birders” on an excursion. It’s like a big “bird conference” where people come from all over to look at birds. No, I’m not kidding. They are given a printed program, and can choose between bird outings, much like any other “conference” you would attend where you choose which class and speaker to go to. Ken and Don have done it for several years, and really enjoy helping others to see what they love, and I think they enjoy preparing and presenting together. We all attended the Keynote speaker on Friday night. Ned Hill spoke about his two week bird excursion to Brazil. He had a great power point presentation and was a very engaging speaker, so even a non- birder like me was thoroughly entertained. I came away with much the same feeling I have after a rousing game of Trivial Pursuit: I realize how very much I do not know. I’m afraid it whetted Ken’s appetite for international birding, though. It seemed a little intense for me: Up before sunrise, bird all day, and sometimes even into the night, and do that for two weeks! They didn’t even go shopping! Anyway, it was a fun weekend for my bird man.

3 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

LOVE the pictures! I am glad that it was entertaining for you as well. I'm curious, did you like the bird lecture or did dad like VoiceMale better? I'm with you, what is an international trip without some good shopping?!?

Joan Morris said...

How about we come on your international birding trip and you and I go shopping?? Deal? We'll let Ken bird and Tom lonewolf.

Shonna said...

What? No shopping? If you went with Dad, it'd be perfect, you could shop and he could bird. I just read Aunt Joan's comment, what a perfect solution.