Thursday, December 4, 2008

Who Are You? and What Have You Done With My Husband?

 
Posted by Picasa
To call Ken "Scrooge" would be overstating it, I'm sure, because he isn't evil and mean, but he certainly has never been big on "Christmas spirit" He loves to be with the family and he loves the music, but I think that's about it . . oh, and the cherry chocolates. But this year, for the very first time, we've been alone over Thanksgiving weekend- which is when we, or I should when the kids and I always decorate the house. His usual contributions to Christmas (besides earning the money to pay for it) are to bring the artificial tree out of the basement, buy me presents, and sometimes, sometimes, put lights out front- every few years or so. I told him he would just have to help this year since we're fresh out of kids at home. And I'll be danged, he has! He hauled most of the stuff out of the basement, then set up the tree by himself and carefully "fluffed" all the limbs. Then he put all the bows on the tree, then about 20 or so ornaments, after which he was just worn out. He said, "If we put any more on this tree, it's just going to look gawdy." So I excused him to watch tv( something he does once a month or so) and told him I'd finish. The next day, he strung the lights through the village (not an easy job- very tedious) and got all of the stuff on timers. Then on Saturday, I came home from shopping and found a strange man on a ladder in front of my house, putting up lights! I got out of the car and asked, "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?" I couldn't believe it! Then, tonight, to top it off, he went to the store and bought "bush" lights and came home and put them out- completely his idea! His Christmas spirit just seems to be growing, and I'm loving it! I'm hoping it's a permanent change! Our new blue "bush" lights. He's holding a rose! We've had a very mild fall and still have roses, tomatoes and other flowers!

12 comments:

Joan Morris said...

What a great husband. You better watch out or he may be translated soon. He was a pretty awesome guy before his Christmas transformation.
Your house looks so Christmasy. Would you please send Ken Hinton to my house??? I haven't put up one decoration yet.

Kristen Mackrory said...

I love it! I am so glad that you were able to decorate for Christmas together! Yay for dad enjoying (or at least happily doing) it. Yay for you for taking all of the fun pictures and blogging them for us. I can't wait to come and enjoy the decorations for myself. 13 more days!

Blake said...

Right ON! You're da' MAN Dad! You'd better be careful though, all your daughters might start expecting Christmas spirit out of their husbands too.

Michelle said...

Good work, Papa! Sheesh! I'm with you, Mom. . . I would NEVER have expected him to buy MORE outside lights of his own accord! What a good man! I can't wait to come home!!! Only 14 more days. . .

Kelly M said...

I just saw a commercial on TV with a husband that did all the decorating while the wife was gone, I told Evan "ya right like there is a man out there that would do that!" Well I guess I was wrong! Way to go Ken!

Kay Hinton said...

I have to add an addendum: Today, Ken added more lights outside- so many that we've blown two fuses tonight! He's turned into a Christmas maniac. I love it!

Kristen Mackrory said...

Amazing! I think Aunt Joan's comment is quite valid and getting valider! Don't let him cut his fingernails! :)

Shonna said...

Go Dad--I'm impressed! I love the decor and the new bush lights. Dad's a Christmas decorating fool! If you ever get sick of the accounting firm, you could make a living in Christmas decorating. ;)

Natalie Sue said...

How exciting! Your tree is beautiful and it's so neat that you have so many lights!!! SO fun! And so exciting that everyone will come home for Christmas!

sara cardon said...

Wow. This post is just hilarious!! The comments have been the best part. Merry Christmas!!:)

Devin said...

Aunt Kay, we just received your Christmas card in the mail yesterday. It was great to hear all of the latest Hinton news but I was so distraught to hear about the Sconecutter. I mean, I knew that this financial mess would have some harsh ramifications but if anyone could weather the storm, I thought it would be a stalwart company such as the Sconecutter. I think I am going to head up to Capitol hill and petition those weasels in Washington to bail 'em out. Goodness knows we need tasty scones a lot more than Ford trucks. Who's with me???

Kristen Mackrory said...

I'm with you Devin!!!! I'll sign any petition.