Friday, December 12, 2008

Keynotes

A big part of my "Christmassing" every year is singing with the Keynotes. We sing for functions and parties in the community and church, but our favorite is singing for local rest homes and assisted living centers. We always go to six or seven each season and do our program for them. We've had so many wonderful and funny experiences. When we're reminiscing, someone always comments, "Someone should write a book." But, so far, . . .no book. So I decided I'd write a blog about ones I can remember. That's pretty close to a book, isn't it? Just this week, we were singing at The Meadows, and were about 2/3 through our 40 minute program, when a lady in the front loudly asked the man she was sitting next to, "Are they going to sing?" Alzheimer's, I guess. Several years ago, we were singing at a rest home, and one of the ladies (no longer singing with us) started one of our songs with a solo. She was about half-way through her solo when a lady in a wheelchair in the back loudly exclaimed, "I guess you think that's pretty!" The nurse came and wheeled her out of there so fast! We came out of a ward building after singing for an adult Christmas party, to find Kaylin's car gone! She had a bad habit of leaving her keys in the car. We called the police and were waiting out front when an elderly and very confused gentleman came driving up in her car. He had come out of the party, thought it was his car and got in and drove off. He was furious when the garage door opener wouldn't open his garage, so came back for help! We've had some very touching, sweet experiences, too. We were performing a love song in one of our spring programs at a local rest home, when a man, there with his crippled and ill wife, literally plucked her out of her wheelchair and "danced with her around the room". Her little feet were on his- just like we all used to do with our Daddys. It was so sweet and touching. By the end of the song, we all had tears streaming down our faces. There are two men like that at Kolob Care- each with their wives there. They are ALWAYS there and so devoted and loving with their wives. One is constantly stroking her arm, pushing the hair back on her forehead and kissing her, whispering things to her. Again, it's hard to sing when you're choked up! At that same rest home a couple of years ago, we were singing "I'll Be Home For Christmas" when nearly everyone started crying. One woman was literally wailing out loud. We decided that song was not a good choice for rest homes. We consider it a privilege to bring maybe a moment's worth of joy to these fine people in the sunset of their lives. Our concert in the tabernacle will be Sunday, December 21st at 7:00pm. If you're in the area, we'd love to have you come! Just keep your "I guess you think that's pretties" to yourself! Ken came to hear us sing at the Meadows on Wednesday and took some pictures. You can see the lady who asked if we were going to sing right there in front. This was taken during our "bell song." Last year, I was excited to order bells to add to our Christmas programs. I ordered them, then arranged three of our songs to add bells to them and took them to our first practice in September. After that practice, I dumped two of the bell numbers, and we focused on only the easiest one. I had NO idea how hard it would be to play bells and sing at the same time. This year, I was more realistic and just ordered one "bell song" with the parts already written. We started in September and have practiced it every week, and have yet to perform it perfectly! Maybe at the tabernacle!

8 comments:

Joan Morris said...

I love the Keynotes. I wish I lived in St. George so I could be one! I loved your stories. You SHOULD write a book.

Kristen Mackrory said...

What a delightful post! I loved reading it. Thank you for sharing the humorous as well as the touching stories. I went from laughing out loud at the man who stole Kailyn's car to wiping away tears as I pictured that sweet husband dancing with his crippled wife. What a wonderful service you do! You are such a good looking group as well! You look so nice in those pictures. I can't wait for December 21st when I get to see it in person for the first time in years! Yay for the breaks you get when you go to school as opposed to those you get when you are working! :)

Kristen Mackrory said...

Oh, and there will be no "I guess you think that is pretty" from me I can guarantee you that!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Those stories are hilarious!! You need to write a book! I am so impressed at all the service your group does!

Shonna said...

Blake and I just read your fun stories; it's a great idea to post memories on your blog. Thanks for sharing with us. We love the one of the couple dancing--how precious. Your outfits look great too mom! I love it when people match.

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

I'm excited for your concert next week! Wahoo! The "I guess you think that's pretty" story is my favorite. I've shared it with my friends before, and got a good laugh out of it. Fun stories. The one about Kaylyn's car is interesting. . . You'd think he would notice a little earlier. Was the car the same make and model as his own? Hilarious.
Only 6 more days!!!!

Natalie Sue said...

Those are such neat stories! Made me want to laugh and cry. I know what you mean -you get some special (and funny) experiences singing at rest homes. Your group looks so wonderful! It would be fun to hear you sing! I love Christmastime and all the music. Looks like you are having an incredible time!