One evening when serving in the sealing waiting room at the temple , I had some downtime. It was slow that day. One of the sealers had performed a wedding and had a couple of hours until his proxy shift started. He and I were visiting. He has been the president of the San Diego temple and he and his wife served as mission presidents. He mentioned he was from Idaho and I said I was too! I told him that the other sister working that night was also from Idaho. We went into the office and talked about Idaho- the identifying license plates, the agriculture, the beauties. He then asked, "Do you know the state song?" Sister Lemmon and I immediately started singing, "And here we have Idaho . . .' with quiet gusto. We and he knew every word. He said when he was mission president and was interviewing an elder and found out he was from Idaho, he would ask them ,"Do you know the state song?" and EVERY time they would start singing it. He said they also have the tradition in their family that whenever they cross the Idaho state line they sing the song. I told them I taught it to my family at the reunion and challenged them to sing it when they crossed the state line.
He then said, "Sing the Utah state song." Nobody knew it. I really think the Idaho song is the best and it is instilled in our hearts in fourth grade. When Idahoans sing that song, they get a sweet, nostalgic look on their faces. As the song states, "Singing, singing of you. All proudly too. All our lives through."
That was such a sweet experience in the temple.
That night, when saying my prayers, I said, "I'm sorry I sang the Idaho state song in the temple. Then I said, "No, I'm not. It was a sweet, happy experience. In my mind, I could see a smile on my Heavenly Father's face. He was okay with it.

No comments:
Post a Comment