Monday, July 26, 2021

Commonwealth

 

CommonwealthCommonwealth by Ann Patchett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am amazed at Patchett’s ability to write so proficiently in so many different settings. Her research is thorough. But the strength of her books is the characterization. She creates memorable characters. That’s what I remember about her books.
This one tells the story of the profound effect one decision can make on many lives. One drunken kiss sets off a chain reaction that changes and destroys lives, the ripple effect lasting for years. There is such a powerful lesson there. I felt that the protagonist in this story was weak, allowing herself to be used and causing pain to herself and others.
I liked this book, but my favorite Patchett novel is The Dutch House. It is similar in theme to this one and has a similar feel. I also liked Bel Canto.


View all my reviews

No comments: