Friday, January 29, 2021

Beneath a Scarlet Sky

 

Beneath a Scarlet SkyBeneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is the true story of an heroic young man in Italy during WWII. He helped many Jews escape Italy, leading them over the mountains into Switzerland. Later, he was the driver for Hitler’s main man in Italy. That position gave him much opportunity to spy for the resistance, saving many lives with his passed- along information. I love the story of the book: when the author became aware of this now-aged man, and that his story had never been told, he found him and interviewed him extensively. He made many trips to Italy to meet with him and travel to the different locations with him. It is a true, authentic story, only fictionalized conversations and parts he couldn’t recall.
As are most stories from WWII, it is a sad story, even heartbreaking, but it is also a tale of courage and heroism. Though I can’t say I enjoyed the book, I am so glad I read it. Well, actually I listened to it. The audio version is well done.

View all my reviews

No comments: