Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Spring 2018 Keynote Concert

After returning from our mission in Japan, I rejoined the singing group I have been part of since 1990, the Keynotes.  Before our mission, I led the group, but since returning, have enjoyed just singing with them.  Our mission is one of service.  We put on two concerts a year: spring and Christmas.  Leading up to those concerts, we perform at local rest homes, rehabilitation centers, and assisted living facilities.  We find great joy in singing at these places.  Our programs include songs and narrations around a theme.  This year, we sang about the gifts God gives us.
Keynotes:  Cindy Alton, Debbie Everett, Kay Hinton, Jennett Labrum, Valerie Jones
Front: Connie Spilker, Tami Peterson, Kim Myers, Marsha Brinkerhoff, accompanist, and Marla Hannig, spring director.


Ken took some pictures while we performed at a local rest home.
As we started our performance, a lady in a wheelchair (Not in picture) yelled out, "That's a bunch of b  . . . s . . . !"  She was quickly wheeled from the room.
But, on the other hand, this sweet lady in the purple, sat with head bowed and quite unresponsive throughout the program- until our last number.  I start the song, "Amazing Grace," singing the first verse as a solo.  She recognized it and immediately started singing with me.  She sang the entire verse with me.  It was the sweetest duet I have ever sung.  It was difficult to control my emotions and keep singing.
We memorize all of our songs- about sixteen in each program. Most of have little solos in the songs.
Our final spring performance was at the Electric Theater in downtown St. George on April 30th.  Here are some pictures Ken took that evening.  The lighting isn't conducive to good photographs, but it shows the setting.  We have enjoyed performing in this historic theater.


I love each of these ladies and so enjoy singing and performing with them. They are good people and good friends.   This hobby/activity has enriched my life for nearly 30 years!  We will take the summer off, and start learning our Christmas songs in September.  I love being part of Keynotes!

2 comments:

Pam said...

Ever since we moved to St. George over 14 years ago, Roger and I have looked forward to attending Keynote concerts and and they have greatly emriched our lives. I love the beautifully-blended harmony! Each member has a lovely voice, some having solo voices a little more than others, and I enjoy their solos, but when they sing in full harmony together, the angels are singing! I am so proud to be your sister, Kay. Being the leader and a member of such an outstanding musical group has been and is a real act of charity, bringing moments of joy to others, and, I know, to our mom and dad.

Joan Morris said...

I love being an honorary member of Keynotes. You gals are awesome. What a fun group of ladies and how fun that you have been friends for so long. One of these years I'm going to make it to one of your concerts.