Wednesday, December 30, 2015

They Brushed Their Teeth and Went on a Mission


Shortly after Patty and Hal left on their last mission (they've served three together) to Germany, they graciously allowed me to stay in their home while I attended BYU Education Week.  When I went in their bathroom, what I saw made me stop short and brought tears to my eyes.  There, hanging on the edge of their sink were their toothbrushes.  The thought came, "They brushed their teeth, then went on a mission."  At the time, we were contemplating and beginning to prepare to serve a mission.  I was overwhelmed at the thought and really not sure if I could do it.  Something about seeing those toothbrushes on the sink that had been tapped and left really touched me.  It's not that hard.  You just brush your teeth and go.  Somehow that gave me courage to go forth with my own plans for a mission.  It was a hard journey- getting ready.  Satan was there at every corner and curve, putting difficulties and road blocks in the way.  At times I would despair, but then I would think of those toothbrushes and I would soldier on.  Patty and Hal's example, and their toothbrushes, gave me courage.  I've had a lot of challenging callings in my life, but never, until this one, have I felt completely overwhelmed with a calling.  This one brought me to my knees.  But those little toothbrushes really helped me. You can do it, Kay.  Just brush your teeth and go.
On the morning we left, I too brushed my teeth, tapped the brush, and left it to dry.  Then I remembered.  I had to go and get the camera and take a picture.  I too brushed my teeth and went on a mission.  Thank you, Patty and Hal!


4 comments:

Jared said...

That brings tears to my eyes too. Thank you for sharing. What a sweet, sweet story and picture.

Pal & Hatty said...

I am so proud of you Kay! I am sure that you are helping countless people - some you know about and others that quietly observe you and learn. Your toothbrush will be there when you return!

Michelle said...

You are such a good writer. That's a good mantra for hard things: Just brush your teeth, then do it. It makes it sound simpler. :)

Unknown said...

This is a story I am going to tell our Misdionary Prep class. Love it.