Monday, January 30, 2012

My Favorite Things- Fortified Oat Flakes

By far, the best cereal ever made was Fortified Oat Flakes. I LOVED this cereal. I still can remember when I first tasted it.: When I was in fifth grade (that's a long time ago, people!), my best friend moved from our town of Caldwell, Idaho to Moscow, Idaho. Her mom and my mom were good friends and they cooked up this plan that I would fly to Moscow and spend a week. It was such a big adventure for a fifth grader. I had a wonderful time. (I still chant "Camera, purse, cheese!" sometimes. It's the chant Ellie taught me as I was getting back on the plane to fly home. She told me to say that to myself as I got off the plane, so I wouldn't leave anything on the plane. They'd taken me to a cheese factory while I was there. "Camera, purse, cheese!" I chanted to myself the whole way home on the plane.) I loved Ellie Frank (the mom.) She was so kind to me. Anyway, she asked me what kind of cereal I liked and I said, "Captain Crunch." So she bought me Captain Crunch and also bought Fortified Oat Flakes. I tried the Oat Flakes and LOVED them. It was misery for the rest of the week, feeling like I had to eat Captain Crunch when what I really wanted was Fortified Oat Flakes.
I was hooked. From then on, I ate this cereal a lot! It was still available when we were first married, but it was expensive, so I lived without for many years. And then, it just disappeared. Now that I could afford it; it was gone! Vanished into thin air. I can't tell you how many times I've searched up and down the cereal aisle- just hoping to catch a glimpse of that box. I finally googled it and found that it is indeed no longer made. But, I found there are many others like me that are sorely missing it. There's even a facebook page devoted to encouraging Post to bring it back: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Post-Cereal-Please-bring-back-Fortified-Oat-Flakes/101245193254832
Post: Are you listening?????
It's #6 on the Top All-Time Favorite Cereals List: http://www.mrbreakfast.com/cereal_votes.asp
(Though I do have to question the validity of a poll that has Cinnamon Toast Crunch at #9 [oosh!], Cocoa Krispies at #12 [double oosh!], and Life Cereal [the 2nd best cereal ever made]clear down at #56.)
What was so good about it, you ask? Well, though it's like trying to describe salt to someone who's never tasted salt, I'll try to describe it. They were flakes, but not really hard, cut your mouth flakes like Wheaties. They were softer . . .and sweeter. There was just a delicious natural sweetness- though that didn't stop me from adding sugar. And . . . (you're going to think this is weird) .. . they were really good soggy. You could pour on the milk and even if they got soggy, they were so yummy. Okay, I now have drool on my chin. Man, I miss this cereal.
Alas, this has turned into a sad, sad post, for Fortified Oat Flakes are truly one of my favorite things!
(I can remember this box with the little stitchery kits on it. I even ordered some, I think.) Sigh.
What's your favorite kind of cereal?

3 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

Oh, what a fun, fun post. I loved this glimpse into you as a 5th grader chanting "camera, cheese, purse" the whole time on the plane. I wish so much I could try this cereal. I wonder why they discontinued it.

I actually kind-of like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but I think my 2 favorites are Kelloggs Raisin Bran with bananas sliced in it (it has to be Kelloggs...other brands just aren't as good) and shredded wheat with fresh blueberries. Yummm.

sara cardon said...

What a great post. I enjoyed that little walk down memory lane with you and your 5th grade self!! You should try Quaker Oatmeal Squares (brown sugar flavor). I'm obsessed and the Costco in Raleigh DOES NOT carry them. I could cry!

lisa said...

I really want to give a big thanks to mother sunlight for helping me get back my lost love. And I also want to use this opportunity to apologize to you mother if you’ll hear, or read this testimony that, I am sorry for doubting your powers in the first place as I was kind of rude… but thanks to mother sunlight for her patience and understanding. I was wrong when I said I don’t think there is real and a true spellcaster . I believe that probably cause of my rough experience I face with fake lovespell casters. They made everything fed up for me. But thanks for openly my eyes to see spiritually. I am so happy to the fact that I don’t even mind to make you a million dollar donation right now just to appreciate you ,..but again I just know that money cannot buy this kind of miracle. Bu still with little support of money, you can make it happen also for you cause it is the money that makes the rituals possible for the spell. (my husband) who left us and started living with someone else. After 3yrs of separation, and now with the help of Jai Mata Sunlight,..I have him back after casting lovespell on him, now he’s back and worship me and adore me like I am a queen to him. And all of those my horrible days, is now a thing of the past. I’m so filledup with joy and happiness. People who knows we’ve been separated for a longtime, just can’t believe it. The the miracle of my husband came back is a very big news so they started asking me what I did. and how I did what I did to achieve this reality serious miracle happening.? And i confess for greatness. And sharing in case for you not to loose hope in life no matter what. Just via sunlightmat@gmail.com and get connected to mother sunlight.’ She will help you if you are also ready to help yourself to achieve your dreams come through. And pls join me in praise and thanks to mother sunlight for helping me get my man back.