Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Now That Was Fun!

I just taught a lady how to swim! I went to do my therapy today. I'm now in what they call "open gym". It just means that I go and do the exercises they've taught me in the gym and then in the pool. I was in the pool, pretty self-absorbed- focused on my aches and pains, when this cute, little black lady- Jackie - came in to get in the pool. She was probably about 5'2", 45-50 years old. She obviously wanted to be right by the wall, so I scooted over and let her have that space. We chatted a bit as we walked. I noticed her clinging to the wall at the three foot level. The indoor therapy pool is three-foot deep at either end, graduating to six-foot in the middle. I went on with my exercises, which include treading straight-legged, then bicycling for ten minutes each. She watched me closely. She just couldn't believe I could do that. She asked me many questions about how I stay up. I told her I could teach her. She was on a "noodle" so was afloat, but as we chatted, she suddenly noticed that she was at the 5-foot level. She had a bit of panic attack. I told her how to move her feet and arms and helped her back to the three-foot area. Then, I taught her how to basically doggy paddle on the noodle. She went back and forth, just thrilled to death. "I'm swimming! I'm swimming!" she said. I told her that 80% of swimming was just overcoming fear. I then had her try it at 4 foot, then 5- foot. "Do you think I could go clear down the whole pool?" "I sure do!" And she did! I wish I could describe the look of sheer joy she had as she touched the other "bank". "I did it!" I was clapping and cheering! I get tears in my eyes even now as I recall. What a thrill! She told me that when she first came to therapy, she had a panic attack and simply couldn't get in the pool. So, they rescheduled her and then the therapist (Katrina- she's the pool gal) got right in with her. Jackie said she still was very frightened as she had never been in a pool before. She said Katrina had to hang on to her the whole time. Katrina had helped her several times that way, then let her do it on her own. She still was very frightened, but finally graduated her to "open gym" And now, by sheer determination, she was swimming! She then paddled all the way back down the pool. She was just so excited and thanked me over and over. I left today with a new friend and feeling SO much better than when I came. I don't think that had much to do with the exercises, either!

9 comments:

Joan Morris said...

You are so cute! Thanks for sharing your sweet experience. Maybe you should look into teaching swimming. You are so kind and supportive, I would want you to be my swim teacher. You could work with all the "open gym" graduates.

Kelly M said...

I can't imagine not knowing how to swim. I agree with Joan, you would make a great swim teacher. P.S. could you send me Shonna's email address thanks

Natalie Sue said...

When I go to Brian and Michelle's blog, I usually stop by to check yours too! Your blog is so fun to read! I absolutely love your stories. And I know where Michelle gets all her neat qualities from! What a cool story about teaching this lady to swim. Wow.

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Mom, you are my hero. You are an amazing teacher. You always seem to know the right thing to say to help people reach their potential. Your story almost brought tears to my eyes b/c I know what it feels like to be the recipient of your encouraging words. I think Aunt Joan's idea is great. :)

sara cardon said...

Cute!! Well done Aunt Kay. You changed her life!!

Shonna said...

What a sweet story mom. You nearly made me cry. I wish I could be there swimming with you. I hope you see Jackie again--you changed her life. Remember the song from Wicked about our lives being better because of the people we know and have met? You made her life better and she helped you feel happy too. Isn't life great?

Blake said...

I have the nicest swimming mom in the world! I feel a song coming on...

James and Tricia Thomas said...

That is such a sweet story!!! You would make a great swimming teacher!!!