Sunday, September 27, 2026

Olive Kitteridge

 


Modern Fiction   Physical Book

Oh Olive.  I think that is the title of book two in this series, and it is exactly what I want to say to Olive who I really got to know reading this book.  It is not really a novel, but thirteen short stories in which Olive appears.  The thirteen stories all have plots and characters of their own, but also give us a deep dive into Olive and tell us her story, too.  It really is unique and clever writing.  It is really unlike any other.  It won the Pulitzer Prize.  Who do I think I am trying to review it?  But Olive became personal to me.  At first, I really didn’t like her.  But I came to know her and understand her and even love her.  Like her?  Not really, but I did come to love her.  She became a living, breathing character.  It is powerful, memorable writing.  Now, what to rate it?  Hmmm.  I guess no one cares but me, but I do care.  I want to be fair.  It’s not a 5.  I didn’t like it that much.  But it’s way better than a 3.  I guess that leaves 4 stars. Yes, 4 stars seems right.

No comments: