Friday, March 18, 2016

Happy Birthday, Elder Hinton

It was Elder Hinton's birthday on Wednesday. Wednesdays are busy here.  We always go to the Volunteer Center at the Community Center on Wednesday mornings, then we have English class on Wednesday evenings. So, there wasn't much hope for a day off.  That morning, Kristen and Shonna's families  facetimed us, and after we got home, Brian and Michelle skyped us.  It was so nice to see and talk to all of them and to hear their happy birthday songs.  After lunch, Ken was settling in for a long afternoon of Japanese study. but I suggested (quite firmly!) that he should go spend a couple of hours hiking by the lake and seeing birds. It was his birthday afterall.  So while I stayed home and made his birthday dinner and cake (that we took to English class), he had a fun couple of hours by the lake.  He was excited to add two new birds to his life list that day:
Japanese Green Woodpecker

Falcated Duck

Birthday Cake I made.  I made my daughter, Michelle's chocolate frosting for it.  It was so yummy!  If you want the recipe, go here.
That evening, after we were home from English.  In fact, it was about 9:30pm, the doorbell rang.  It was a dear friend- Imi.  She got off work at 9:00, then brought over this beautiful and delicious strawberry/pineapple cake.





I got him this neck warmer ( a great invention that they use here.)  He had it on his head.

The next day, a wonderful package arrived from our daughters.  Kristen had asked me what he needed and I suggested a tie might be nice.  So they sent three sweaters, six ties and deodorant, soap, and tissues for me(brands that I use at home and can't find here.)  We felt so loved. 







The top picture is of him in one of his new sweaters and ties.  Happy birthday, Elder Hinton!!

1 comment:

Joan Morris said...

Happy Birthday Elder Hinton! We love you!!