Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Do all the good you can

"Do all the good you can.  By all the means you can.  In all the ways you can.  In all the places you can.  At all the times you can.  To all the people you can.  As long as ever you can."  John Wesley
John Wesley certainly lived by this mantra.  He is one of my heroes.  You know when you play that game where they ask, "Who, of all the people that have ever lived, would you have lunch with if you could?"  I just may choose John Wesley.  He was an amazing man.  He founded the Methodist Society.  Notice, I said "society," not "church."  He never intended it to be a church.  He knew he didn't have the authority from God to found a church.  But he thought it would be helpful to form a society that would help people develop good, Christian habits and perform them methodically- hence, the title Methodist.  He taught people how to look for truth and it was because of his teachings that the people in England were so prepared when the gospel of Jesus Christ was presented to them.  The entire congregation converted.  He was one of four ordained to the office of high priest when they came to Wilford Woodruff in the St. George, Utah temple.  He spent his life living by this great mantra- Do all the good you can.  Could there be a better mantra?  

Looking for more good mantras?  Click here.

4 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

What an awesome mantra...and an awesome man! Thank you for sharing.

Michelle said...

Wow! Am I on a history blog or a family blog? I love that I just learned something new. I'm now a fan of him too.

Joan Morris said...

You taught me something new. Mi didn't know much about John Wesley. Now I do. Thanks for sharing.

Pal & Hatty said...

I love that mantra - what great words to live by! Thanks for the information on John Wesley and the Methodists - I too learned something I never knew before! You make such great posts!!