Friday, April 26, 2019

the life-changing magic of tidying up

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and OrganizingThe Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondō

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I’ve just read one of the most popular in a genre of books I had forgotten existed. Years ago I read a Don Aslett book. It was motivational, as was this book. I didn’t agree with everything in this book (or that one.). In fact, some of it was quite upsetting to me (like throwing away any book you haven’t read. What??? One of the things that sparks the most joy in me is a book on my shelf, waiting to be read.) But I did like some things from this book:
It’s motivational. I’m excited to go through my clothes and belongings and get rid of things that I no longer need or that don’t make me happy.
Though I don’t think our possessions have souls, I do think we should treat them with respect. And I think that our hearts should be filled with gratitude for our possessions- but maybe that gratitude should be directed toward God, the provider, rather than the possession itself. Since reading the book, I find myself treating by belongings with more gratitude and respect. I like that.
I agree that most of us have too much stuff and it weighs us down mentally and emotionally. Decluttering or tidying, as she calls it can be a freeing process.
I am glad I read it. It made me think, and, as I said, it was motivational. Wish me luck as I tackle my tidying!




View all my reviews

No comments: